Gidsen Rumst Gidsen Rumst
Forum voor leiding van Gidsen 10de Orion Rumst

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   GebruikersgroepenGebruikersgroepen   RegistrerenRegistreren 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privéberichten te bekijkenLog in om je privéberichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen 

TORONTO -- Hes been snubbed a final time by the Baseball Wr

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Gidsen Rumst -> Zever e.d.
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
jokergreen0220

BerichtGeplaatst: 24-03-2020 09:20:07    Onderwerp: TORONTO -- Hes been snubbed a final time by the Baseball Wr Reageren met citaat

TORONTO -- Hes been snubbed a final time by the Baseball Writers Association of America, but Roberto Alomar believes theres a spot in Cooperstown for Jack Morris. Xavier Williams Super Bowl Jersey . Morris was denied induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame on Wednesday, his 15th and final year on the writers ballot. The veteran right-hander was named on 61.5 per cent of BWAA votes, well short of the 75 per cent minimum requirement. "You feel disappointed but on the other hand its something I cant vote for," Alomar, currently a special advisor with the Blue Jays, said Thursday. "He has my vote. "I would love to see him in the Hall of Fame already." Alomar, 45, was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011. The 12-time all-star second baseman and Morris were Toronto teammates in 1992 and 1993 when the Blue Jays captured consecutive World Series titles. Morris won 259 games over 18 seasons with Detroit, Minnesota, Toronto and Cleveland. Morris claimed more victories in the 1980s than any other pitcher and threw a dramatic complete-game, 10-inning shutout to win Game 7 of the 91 World Series for the Twins. But Morriss critics point to his lofty earned-run average (3.90) and failure to capture a Cy Young award -- given annually to the top pitchers in the American and National Leagues -- as reasons against his induction into Cooperstown. After leading Minnesota to its World Series crown, Morris signed as a free agent with Toronto and won 21 games -- tops in the majors -- with a 4.04 ERA in 92. Although he struggled in the playoffs, Morris was the Jays opening-day starter the following year. However, after posting a 7-12 record with a 6.19 ERA, Morris failed to see any playoff action in 93. The five-time all-star later signed with Cleveland but was released in early August with 10-6 record and 5.60 ERA. Morriss Hall of Fame quest isnt necessarily over. He could still be nominated by the Veterans Committee, which reconsiders the careers of retired players bypassed by baseball writers. However, Morris must now wait three years to become eligible for consideration. But Alomar is confident it will be well worth it. "No, its not over," Alomar said. "I think eventually hell be inducted into the Hall of Fame. "Sometimes its takes longer for others but as long as you get in, thats all that matters." Alomar was back on the Rogers Centre turf Thursday participating in the clubs winter training day in support of the Jays Care Foundation. Participants fundraised a minimum of $500 -- with proceeds supporting the Blue Jays Baseball Academy Rookie League national program -- to receive on-field instruction from Alomar and fellow former Jays Jesse Barfield, Pat Tabler, Lloyd Moseby and Homer Bush. Alomar said theres no question in his mind Morris deserves a Hall of Fame nod. "He was a good teammate," Alomar said. "I always said if you wanted a guy pitching on the mound in the seventh game of the World Series, it should be Jack Morris. "Thats the guy Id vote for." There will be a Toronto flavour during this years induction ceremony. Among those in this years Hall of Fame class are manager Bobby Cox and slugger Frank Thomas, both former Blue Jays. Cox managed in Toronto from 1982 to 85, then led the Atlanta Braves into the 92 World Series against his former club. "Bobby Cox had a great career," Alomar said. "I never played for him, I played against Bobby. "He was a great manager, he had a lot of players talk real highly of him. He had a great winning percentage and its well deserved that he was voted into the Hall of Fame." Cox, who guided Atlanta to the 95 World Series title, isnt the only big-name former manager heading into the Hall of Fame. Joining him will be Tony La Russa and Joe Torre, both multiple World Series champions who like Cox also won more than 2,000 career games over their stellar major-league careers. "Unbelievable," Alomar said. "The only sad thing is I didnt get the chance to play for any of them. "But Im a big fan of theirs, I have a lot of respect for them. Im honoured to be part of that day with them and I cant wait until that day comes when I can congratulate them personally." Thomas was twice named the American League MVP over his 19-year career and was regarded as one of the games top hitters. He spent the 07 season and 16 games of the 08 campaign with Toronto, and was a Blue Jay when he belted his 500th career homer June 28, 2007 versus Minnesota. Dorian ODaniel Super Bowl Jersey .B. -- Canadas Rachel Homan had ideal preparation for the playoffs at the Ford World Curling Championships with a pair of hard-fought wins over tenacious opponents Thursday. Eric Fisher Super Bowl Jersey . "Back in 2011, when they announced that the game was coming here, we knew that it was going to be pretty important that we had a good year and hopefully could get into it, let alone win it, so I felt some pressure obviously within for sure," Taman said Monday, less than 24 hours after the Riders won the championship. http://www.thechiefsshoponline.com/Youth-Laurent-Duvernay-tardif-Chiefs-Jersey/ . Mesoraco hurt his hamstring while scoring from second in Friday nights 5-4 loss at Atlanta. Chapman was hit by a line drive during an exhibition game on March 19, breaking his nose and a bone above his left eye. The left-hander looked strong while throwing 43 pitches in batting practice before Saturday nights game against the Braves.GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- No bushy bonding in Cincinnati this season. The Reds want players to keep their beards and their locks in check. First-year manager Bryan Price wants players hair and beards to be neatly kept this season, in line with the teams policy on appearances. A few of the Reds have long hair and beards. Starter Johnny Cuetos hair still covers his name on the back of his jersey. Price is fine with it. "Our initial policy was facial hair was fine, but just keep it under control," Price said on Saturday. The Boston Red Sox made long, scraggly beards their identity last season on their way to a World Series championship. Boston players shaved them off after the season, with several players donating the hair for charity fundraisers. The Reds were known for their strict hair and appearance policies in the 1970s and 1980s. They insisted that players stay clean-shaven and show their red stirrups in uniform. When reliever Jim Kern wanted a trade during the 1982 season, he grew a beard in violationn of the teams policy and was sent to the White Sox. Morris Claiborne Super Bowl Jersey. The policy even applied to the media guide. When the Reds got infielder Wayne Krenchicki, they only photo available showed him with a moustache. The team covered up the moustache in the media guide photo. Price has no desire to go back to those days. "I dont think youre going to be terribly successful sitting there trying to turn the clock back on the clubhouse too far," Price said. He plans to meet with some of the teams leaders when the position players report for their first workout on Monday and get their thoughts about some proposed rules. All teams have policies on whats expected of players. "I dont think theres anybody in there thats looking to turn this place into Fantasy Island and go crazy in there," Price said. "I think everyone likes to understand what the rules are and where the lines are drawn. But I think its something worth discussing with the players instead of mandating them unilaterally." ' ' '
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Gidsen Rumst -> Zever e.d. Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: